Successful Trials

8 o’clock am, Senba Park, sunny, 12°C
Official start of the Space Elevator Challenge 2017.

First off, all participants gathered at the Challenge Headquarters. Unfortunately the introduction and all instructions were in japanese.

Afterwards our climber got checked by the technical Inspector. For official altitude and speed measurements we had to attach a Measurement Payload Unit (MPU) to our climber. We wanted to use zipties because they are simple, also because we’re a bit lazy.
Since they thought zipties are weak as duck, we were not allowed to use them. Hence we had to improvise.  We hat very little tools, but luckily other teams could spare some materials and lent their tools.  So we built an aluminum frame for the MPU. The curbside was good enough to grind off all sharp edges.

The Japanese visitors were very interested in our technology, especially after we had completed our testruns. When having a look at the other team`s climbers, we noticed many interesting and clever solutions to problems we also encountered during our development. At this point, it should be mentioned that not all teams focused on speed. There are two other objectives: having a high payload-to-total-mass-ratio and a very stable ride. Our design was just aimed at maximum speed though.

After two successful drive slots with multiple climbs, we were quite happy. The numbers are’t published yet, but we are now analyzing our own log files to further improve our performance tomorrow.

BTW: The climber is called one.third, because it only weighs a third of its predecessor (before adding all the safety and measurement stuff).

This picture shows the machine at work – and also the climber 😉

Schreibe einen Kommentar